In John Lennon's Garden

A portrait of his last years

In John Lennon's Garden

A memoir by Mike Tree

In John Lennon's Garden

A portrait of his last years

“Yeah, they're great. You know the British; they bring their gardens with them. But first, they took this place from the Spanish. Get your trunks on. We'll have a swim before supper.”

“Yes! I love all the flowers.”

After a short swim, we sat in lawn chairs, drying off. We'd been on the terrace for about ten minutes, when the housekeeper called from the house, “Dinner ready!”

He looked like he'd lost twenty pounds. I'd never seen him so relaxed.

“Isn't this place fantastic?” he said.

Again, I raced up to the cottage and changed. Back at the house, I joined John, Sean, and his nanny Helen at the kitchen table. Uda-san served us stir-fried vegetables and brown rice.

“They told me in the office,” I said with a mouthful of food, “that you sailed here from Newport, Rhode Island. Where's the sailboat? I'd love to go sailing. Where's the boat?”

“Thank you, thank you. I know what you mean. 'Those days' I was so insecure, I kept stuffing me face.”

“The boat was rented. It's already gone back.”

John suddenly jumped up from his chair, left the kitchen, and quickly returned with a photo album, which he put on the table between us. “I took the Polaroid camera with me. Here's the boat. It's a 43-foot sloop. This is me at the helm,” he said pointing to another photo. “I took it meself.”

“Well, look who's here,” he said. We embraced, slapping each other on the back.

“You look great” I said. “You've lost some weight. You always were a bit chubby as aaah . . . in those days. You're getting better looking with age.”

The photo showed him in a bright yellow raincoat with the hood down. His long hair hung in wet strands around his grinning face. “We got hit by a bad storm and everyone got seasick. When Captain Hank needed to rest, he put me at the helm and showed me what to do. At first, I was afraid. But soon I lost my fear and began to shout at the storm!”

As he spoke, John's Liverpool accent became stronger. I rarely heard him use the vernacular “me,” now he used it in every sentence. After dinner, he kissed Sean, wished everyone a good night, and went into his room. The following morning, I ate breakfast alone, while I chatted with Uda-san.

A short distance away, I found him on a terrace overlooking the water, studying the afternoon sky. As I approached, he squinted to see me and then flashed a broad grin.

“You see John,” she said. “He changed—very happy.”

“Yes, he seems different. I've never seen him so energetic.”

“John tell me about how lonely he is. Life in Dakota is like living in jail; worst than jail—no human life. Sean call it ghost house.”

When the car arrived, the driver took my luggage and me to a guest cottage located on the sprawling grounds. Eager to see John, I left my clothes in the suitcase and went to the main house, where Uda-san, the Japanese housekeeper, told me he was out swimming and pointed toward the ocean.

I first learned about John's plan to return to the recording studio in July 1980, when I visited him in Bermuda. From the airport, a car service took me to Pembroke on the opposite end of the island where he leased an expansive oceanfront estate. During the drive, I was astounded to see the multitude of flowering plants and trees.  

After breakfast, I went off to explore the grounds and plants and discovered a small sailboat in a shed. Impulsively, I carried it to the ocean and put it in the water. Then I had second thoughts. I should probably ask John. But I didn't see him until the next day.

“Top o' the mornin' to ya'!” he greeted me as I ate breakfast. “Where did the sailboat come from?”

“I found it in the shed behind the house. I'd love to go sailing, but I thought I should first ask you.”

After breakfast, I rigged the sailboat, while John and Sean watched. A short while later, John and I set out in the small craft. I took the helm and tacked into the onshore wind with little success.

“Let me do that,” he said, pushing past me to grab the tiller. “I know what I'm doing.”

Later, back on land, John invited me into the house, saying, “There's something I want to show you.” I followed him into his bedroom. Newspapers, books, and clothes lay everywhere. A boom box sat on top of a tall dresser, where he sorted through a stack of audiocassettes.

“We're going to make an album,” he announced, putting one into the boom box.

“What do you think?” he asked when the song ended.

“It's fantastic. I like the song.”

“Not bad for a first take? I can't wait to play it for Mother.” He played another cassette. When the song ended, I asked for another. But he refused.

“Now be off. We'll have lunch tomorrow at the Botanical Garden. They have a good restaurant.”

During lunch, John talked about his experience in Primal Therapy.

“Before therapy, I wasn't feeling anything. I blocked my feelings. When painful feelings come through, you cry. You need therapy, too. You're all blocked because your parents didn't love you.”

“My parents loved me,” I protested.

“Your parents didn't love you! You said your father called you a coward when you avoided the draft. You were unwanted—a mistake! Look at you; you can't even feel the pain of being rejected. You're all blocked like I was.”

After his verbal assault, I became sullen and withdrawn. Neither John nor I spoke on the drive back to the house. When we arrived, he got out first. As I got out I tried to conceal red eyes. But he noticed my tears. “It's okay, it's okay. I'm your friend.” Yet again, as he had so often done during the last years, John expressed a caring that both flattered and confounded me.

© Michael Barbosa Medeiros

© 2001 Yoko Ono

Enter Text

© 2001 Yoko Ono

All photos are used in a nonprofit, educational context with the claim of fair use.

This web site is copyright © 2020 by Michael Barbosa Medeiros.

All rights reserved.


Me enteré por primera vez del plan de John de volver al estudio de grabación en julio de 1980, cuando lo visité en las Bermudas. Desde el aeropuerto, un servicio de automóvil me llevó a Pembroke en el extremo opuesto de la isla, donde él alquiló una amplia propiedad frente al mar. Durante el viaje, me quedé asombrado al ver la multitud de árboles y plantas con flores.

Cuando llegó el automóvil, el conductor nos llevó a mi equipaje y a mí a una cabaña de huéspedes ubicada en los extensos terrenos. Ansioso por ver a John, dejé mi ropa en la maleta y fui a la casa principal, donde Uda-san, la ama de llaves japonesa, me dijo que estaba nadando y señaló hacia el océano. A poca distancia, lo encontré en una terraza con vista al mar, estudiando el cielo de la tarde. Cuando me acerqué, entrecerró los ojos para verme y luego esbozó una amplia sonrisa.

"Bueno, mira quién está aquí", me dijo. Nos abrazamos, dándonos palmadas en la espalda.

"Te ves genial", le dije. “Has perdido algo de peso. Siempre fuiste un poco gordito como aaah. . . en esos días. Te ves mejor con la edad".

"Gracias gracias. Sé lo que quieres decir. 'Esos días' era tan inseguro que seguía engordando mi aspecto".

Parecía que había perdido diez kilos. Nunca lo había visto tan relajado.

"¿No es fantástico este lugar?" , me dijo.

"Sí! Me encantan todas las flores".

"Sí, son geniales. Conoces a los británicos; traen consigo sus jardines. Pero primero, le quitaron este lugar a los españoles. Acomoda los baúles. Nos daremos un baño antes de la cena".

Después de un breve baño, nos sentamos en sillas del jardín, secándonos. Llevábamos unos diez minutos en la terraza cuando el ama de llaves nos llamó desde la casa: "!Cena lista!"

Una vez más, corrí hasta la cabaña y me cambié. De regreso a la casa, me uní a John, Sean y su niñera Helen en la mesa de la cocina. Uda-san nos sirvió verduras salteadas y arroz integral.

"Me dijeron en la oficina", le dije con un bocado de comida, "que navegaste aquí desde Newport, Rhode Island. ¿Dónde está el velero? Me encantaría salir a navegar. ¿Dónde está el bote?"

"El bote era alquilado. Ya lo he devuelto".

John se levantó repentinamente de su silla, salió de la cocina y regresó rápidamente con un álbum de fotos, que puso sobre la mesa entre nosotros. "Me llevé la cámara Polaroid. Aquí está el bote. Es un balandro de 43 pies. Este soy yo al timón", me dijo señalando otra foto. "La tomé yo mismo".

La foto lo mostraba con un impermeable amarillo brillante con la capucha abajo. Su cabello largo colgaba en mechones húmedos alrededor de su rostro sonriente. "Nos azotó una fuerte tormenta y todos se marearon. Cuando el capitán Hank necesitó descansar, me puso al timón y me mostró qué hacer. Al principio, tuve miedo. !Pero pronto perdí el miedo y comencé a gritarle a la tormenta!"

Mientras hablaba, el acento de Liverpool de John se hizo más fuerte. Rara vez lo escuché usar el vernáculo "yo", ahora lo usaba en cada oración. Después de la cena, besó a Sean, les deseó a todos una buena noche y se fue a su habitación. A la mañana siguiente, desayuné solo, mientras charlaba con Uda-san.

"Ves a John", me dijo. "Él cambió, está muy feliz".

"Sí, parece diferente. Nunca lo había visto tan enérgico".

"John, me contó lo solo que está. La vida en el Dakota es como vivir en la cárcel; peor que la cárcel, sin vida humana. Sean lo llama casa fantasma".

Después del desayuno, me fui a explorar los terrenos y las plantas y descubrí un pequeño velero en un cobertizo. Impulsivamente, lo llevé al océano y lo puse en el agua. Entonces lo pensé mejor. Probablemente debería preguntarle a John. Pero no lo vi hasta el día siguiente.

"!Lo mejor de la mañana para ti!" me saludó mientras desayunaba. "¿De dónde vino el velero?"

"Lo encontré en el cobertizo detrás de la casa. Me encantaría ir a navegar, pero pensé que primero debería preguntarte".

Después del desayuno, preparé el velero, mientras John y Sean miraban. Poco tiempo después, John y yo partimos en la pequeña embarcación. Tomé el timón y procuré virar en el viento de tierra adentro con poco éxito.

Más tarde, de regreso en tierra, John me invitó a entrar a la casa y me dijo: "Hay algo que quiero mostrarte". Lo seguí a su dormitorio. Por todas partes había periódicos, libros y ropa. Había un equipo de sonido en la parte superior de un tocador alto, donde tenía una pila de casetes de audio.

"Vamos a hacer un álbum", anunció, colocando una cinta en el radiocasete.

"¿Qué opinas?" me preguntó cuando terminó la canción.

"Es fantástico. Me gusta la canción"

"¿No está mal para una primera toma? No puedo esperar para mostrárselo a Madre". Puso otro casete. Cuando terminó la canción, pedí otra. Pero se negó.

"Ahora vete. Almorzaremos mañana en el Jardín Botánico. Tienen un buen restaurante".

Durante el almuerzo, John habló sobre su experiencia en la Terapia Primal.

"Antes de la terapia, no sentía nada. Bloqueé mis sentimientos. Cuando surgen sentimientos dolorosos, lloras. También necesitas terapia. Están todos bloqueados porque sus padres no los amaban".

"Mis padres me amaban", protesté.

"!Tus padres no te querían! Dijiste que tu padre te llamó cobarde cuando evitaste el reclutamiento. No te querían, !Un error! Mírate; ni siquiera puedes sentir el dolor de ser rechazado. Están todos bloqueados como yo".

Después de su asalto verbal, me volví hosco y retraído. Ni John ni yo hablamos en el camino de regreso a la casa. Cuando llegamos, salió primero. Al salir traté de disimular los ojos rojos. Pero notó mis lágrimas. “Está bien, está bien. Soy tu amigo" . Una vez más, como lo había hecho tan a menudo durante los últimos años, John expresó una preocupación que tanto me halagó como me confundió.

Traducido por Carlos Larriega © 2021

Leer en Español, desplácese abajo